Who can apply for the court orders?
- A parent, guardian or special guardian of the child;
- A step-parent with parental responsibility;
- Any person with a residence order.
- Any person who has obtained the permission of the court to make the application.
In particular, for a Residence or a Contact Order, the following people can apply:
- Any party to a marriage (whether or not it still exists) in relation to whom the child is a child of the family;
- Any civil partner in a civil partnership where the child is a child of the family;
- Any person who the child has lived with for a period of at least three of the last five years.
If you need the court's permission you must complete a separate form asking the court to allow you to bring the application.
Read more about:
Watch Tony Roe talking about Cohabitation/ Living Together and Adoption issues whilst at his previous firm.